Thursday, May 3, 2012

Week 18: Salad - Marinated Carrots


This blog is starting to feel like a celebration of everything that I didn't like as a kid. My mom and dad would make this cold salad for special occasions. They really loved it, but since us kids didn't eat it, it wasn't a regular occurrence in our house. My mom was full of excitement when I asked for the recipe.

This salad is quite simple to make. You just need to make it ahead of time, in order for you to cool it down. Essentially you are making pickled carrots in a vinaigrette.  I like to put this over a regular green salad. You add vegetables and your dressing all in one go.

I forgot that the last time I made this, it was a bit sweet for my tastes. I would cut the sugar by at least half.

Marinated Carrots
 
2 lbs carrots
1 medium onion, diced
1 large green pepper, cut into strips
1 can tomato soup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
 
1. Clean and slice carrots, cook to desired tenderness (I boiled mine for about 3 minutes); drain and cool.
 
2 lbs is a lot of carrots

 
 2. Combined carrots, onion & pepper in a bowl.
 
*If you don't like raw onion you can put the onion in with the carrots while cooking.
 
3. Combine other ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
 
4. Pour over vegetables.  Let cool.  Chill overnight.
 


 Normally, I would try to find a substitute for the Campbell's soup, to make it a little healthier, but since it calls for the concentrated soup, that's what I went with. I don't really know how to substitute for concentrated soup.

With baked chicken thighs and summer squash ribbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment