Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 9: Coffee - Molasses Coffee Marinated Pork Chops


This week's theme is coffee.

I'll be honest. I couldn't get excited about this one. I am not really a dessert person. We still have Christmas cookies sitting around. I wanted to do something savory. After searching and reading recipes all week long and not finding anything that floated my boat, I turned the task of picking what the hell I was going to cook to my wife. She picked this, molasses coffee marinated pork chops, from Alton Brown.

Always remember to read the directions days before you plan on cooking. Recipes that call for marinating over night can sneak up on you.
There have been better days of recent to break out the grill, but the cold outside didn't stop the heat. Now if only I could get out and golf!

My grandmother is from Mississippi, and even though I can not remember her ever making me grits and collard greens, I couldn't help but think that she would have enjoyed these side dished: sauteed collards and cheesy grits (again from Alton Brown).

Never having cooked collard greens, I wasn't sure what to do. All the recipes that I skimmed through called for long braising. I decided to go the way of the Brazilian couve and julienne the greens and saute them in bacon bits (and grease) and garlic.

My wife gets sous chef credit for her work on the grits. She kept a good eye on them and stirred them regularly while I was grilling the chops and doing up the greens.

Recipe is available from the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment