Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week 4: Pan Frying - Cod in Brown Butter, with Zuchinni and Spaghetti Squash


I have a confession to make. I made this dinner on Tuesday. I have had the pictures on the camera since then. Why, you may ask, did it take so long to post? Well, I have developed a bit of an addiction to a video game. My wife has been content to cruise the internet while I while away hours, or days (who's to say) playing Skyrim. Hopefully, I will break this nasty addiction without suffering too much withdrawal.

This weeks challenge is pan frying, which is perfect for getting food on the table quickly. Usually prepping your mise en place take longer than the actually cooking. This week I decided to make fish.

spaghetti squash prepped for trip in the microwave

Spaghetti squash was my favorite food find of 2011. I think that the people who have eaten spaghetti squash don't tell anybody else about it, so they can have it all to themselves. Cooking it is extremely easy. Put it in a microwave safe bowl. Season with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave it for 9 minutes on high. Shred it with a fork to make it spaghetti-looking.

Simple side dish ready to go

My wife loves scallops, so this was a special treat for her
 Don't overcook the scallops. Two minutes per side. No Longer. I did this in a dry pan, with no oil.

Cod cooking in brown butter
The pan was already hot from the scallops, so the butter browned almost instantly. The thing with fish is not to overcook. It makes me a little uncomfortable with cooking fish, but this cod was great. Two and a half minutes per side. I seasoned it with some salt and set it in the refrigerator for twenty minutes or so. This helps to dry the meat out so that it isn't wet when you add it to the pan, which will prevent browning.

Spaghetti squash is aptly named
Take the microwaved squash, and saute it with some melted butter and scallions. After it gets a little toasty, I mixed in some grated asiago and gruyere. It was like having spaghetti and cheese. Love this dish.

Have you noticed? Everything is pan fried!
I just sauteed some red onions in olive oil, then added in the zucchini and summer squash ( I believe they are called courgettes across the pond). It doesn't take long, only three or four minutes. Once it is done, take it out of the pan. It will keep cooking and get squishy.

What a fantastic dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment